Several unique features of the baculovirus system make this virus very appealing for preventive or therapeutic gene transfer. These include:
- Generate large amounts of recombinant protein
- Can express genes from bacteria, viruses, plants and mammals at levels from 1-500mg/l
- Several post translational modifications possible; phosphorylation, glycosylation and acylation
By pairing this technology with our expertise in virus packaging, abm offers custom Baculovirus subcloning and virus production, allowing high level gene expression in insect cells.
An overview of abm’s custom Baculovirus service:
Step 1: Gene synthesis and/or subcloning
- Strategy design and codon optimization
- Gene synthesis or amplification/isolation of the gene of interest from a customer-supplied vector and subcloning it into a transfer vector with His tag
- Sequence confirmation of insert
- Estimated time: 2 weeks
Step 2: Virus generation and expression evaluation
- Transformation of gene of interest into E. coli with baculoviral DNA
- Culture of E. coli and purification using mini-prep to produce an expression bacmid (recombinant viral DNA)
- Transfection of sf9 insect cells with expression bacmid
- Plaque purification and viral titer assay
- Small-scale culture to test expression level
- Estimated time: 4-6 weeks
Optional: Protein purification
- Virus stock preparation and amplification
- Large-scale culture and infection of insect cells for protein expression
- Purification from 1 litre of infected insect cell using affinity column of Ni-NTA or other column
- Estimated time: 4-5 weeks
Flexibility – Each aspect of our service is tailored to fit your specific project. We treat you as an individual, not a project number.
Value – We focus on the quality of our service, all supported by competitive pricing.
Experience – With many years of working with recombinant protein expression and virus production we can help with the most challenging of projects.
Please contact us to discuss your project and to request a personalized quotation.